In order to practice freedom and responsibility as a media and realize social justice, Hanteo News hereby enacts the ‘Hanteo News Code of Ethics.’ All journalists and employees of Hanteo News are committed to complying with the code below.
Article 1. Standards and Direction of coverage and reporting
1. Freedom of expression and responsibility
- Our goal of reporting is the public’s right to know.
- We enhance the freedom of coverage, editing, and expression, but bear in mind that these are founded upon the responsibilities that follow and strive for the formation of sound public opinion, the development of culture, the promotion of public welfare, and the protection of the basic rights of the people.
- We cover news independent from political, economic, social, and cultural powers and deny the pressure and solicitation of such powers.
2. Pursuit of Truth
- We prioritize accurate and fair reporting based on facts and truths.
- We do not distort the information obtained while covering the news and indicate the facts as they are.
- We ensure to check whether the information obtained is true.
- We disclose the source of the information in principle for the sake of accuracy and reliability of the article. However, exception may be made if it is considered inevitable to protect the informer or the source.
- We maintain balance between two parties when reporting on conflicting interests.
- We write and edit so that readers do not confuse facts with opinions. We also clearly differentiate between articles and advertisements.
- We also take caution not to make it difficult to deliver the content of an article due to excessive advertising.
- In the case of the ‘Hanteo News Bot’ article by robot journalism, we edit it so that it is distinguishable from other articles written by humans, and we ensure to include the article's identity inside the article.
Article 2. Professional Ethics
1. Copyright Protection
- We utilize the publicly published works for reporting and indicate the exact source otherwise.
- We do not steal or plagiarize text, content or ideas from other media or entities.
- When using other people's works, we use them within the allowable range of copyright use, with the consent of the copyright holder.
2. Protection of the Weak and Prohibition of Discrimination
- We strive to help to build healthy personality and to cultivate emotions of minors and protect them from obscene, violent, or harmful environments.
- We exclude prejudice, discrimination, and hate under any circumstances, and we do not discriminate individuals or groups based on such prejudice or hate.
- We protect the rights of the socially disadvantaged and minorities, including, but not limited to, children, the disabled, and foreigners.
- We pay particular attention when covering or reporting on people and their relatives who suffered from tragic events.
3. Ethics as a Journalist
- We do not ask for money or valuables from others in exchange for coverage and reporting.
- We do not use the information learned during the coverage to obtain financial benefits or avoid losses.
- We do not disclose the contents to outsiders or third parties until the coverage is reported.
- Unless the public interest is prioritized, we do not compromise the reputation of the individual and strive to protect the privacy of others.
- Even if it is not related to economic benefits, we do not engage in unethical acts such as eavesdropping or identity impersonation for coverage.
- We do not receive advertisements or sponsorships in any unjust way, and we do not act in any way that undermines the company's reputation.
Article 3. Remedy for Damage Caused by Reporting
1. Correcting Misinformatio
- We provide a way to receive information about misinformation.
- When misinformation occurs, check the facts and correct the article as soon as possible.
- If the content of the article is difficult to modify, write an article regarding misinformation and arrange easy access to it.
2. Guarantee of Objection
- We provide an opportunity to explain and/or argue to those individuals or groups who may face disadvantages due to reporting in advance.
- If the source exercises the right to object, we ensure to include it in the article.
- If there is a party who raises an objection to or claims disadvantages by an article, we listen to the opinion as much as possible and, if necessary, correct the contents of the reported article as soon as possible.
Article 4. Social Media Activities
1. Using the Official Social Media Account
- In principle, articles published on Hanteo News should be posted on the official social media account of Hanteo News. We may also use Hanteo News’ official social media account for accurate and efficient coverage and reporting.
- The official social media account manager of Hanteo News does not disclose confidential information of the account (ID, password) to non-managers or third parties.
2. Using personal Social Media Accounts
- Personal social media account activities are conducted under each member’s responsibility, and we take responsibility on our own for the results in principle.
- Prior to personal activities, we bear in mind professional ethics and the fact that we are a journalist of and Hanteo News, and we take caution not to be questioned for fairness and reliability.
Article 5. Ethics Committee
1. Establishment and Operation of Ethics Committee
- Hanteo News establishes and operates an 'ethics committee' to deliberate and judge the implementation of its own code of ethics.
- Hanteo News notifies and educates not only the internal journalists and employees of Hanteo News but also external writers to comply with Hanteo News' Code of Ethics.